Monday, May 13, 2013

Sam's Letters to Jennifer

Overall rating (out of 5 stars): ★ ★ ★ ★ ★


As a fan of another one of James Patterson's romance novels, Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, I had high hopes for this book. And it didn't disappoint. The quote on the cover from Bookreporter.com says it all. You will need a box of tissues, because tears will be shed. 

In this novel, Jennifer, a woman who is already dealing with the aftermath of one tragedy in her life, gets a phone call that will change her life. Her grandmother, who is her best friend, is in the hospital, and it doesn't look good. So Jennifer leaves her Chicago home and goes to her grandmother's house on the lake. She spends her days visiting her grandmother in the hospital, and her nights are spent at the house she spent her childhood summers in. She ends up running into a guy from her childhood, and they end up having the summer of their lives. 

There are some more challenges that face Jennifer through the summer. Her grandmother, Sam, has written her letters that tell the story of Sam's life, mostly her life after marrying Jennifer's grandfather. Jennifer learns secrets that she had no clue about, and it forces her to reevaluate things in her own life. She also learns that Brenden, her new summer love, has a secret of his own. 

This story was amazing. I read it in less than 24 hours because I could not put it down. It's well-written, and James Patterson knows how to pull at the heartstrings. I became invested in these characters, and I was rooting for them all. The relationship between Sam and Jennifer really got to me because it reminded me of my own relationship with my grandmother, who died 4 years ago. The pain that Jennifer felt when she found out her grandmother was in the hospital was the same pain I felt when I found out my grandmother had cancer. I also rooted for Jennifer and Brenden because they seemed like a great couple, and because Jennifer needed some happiness in her life. She had already gone through so much. And Brenden's secret threw me because I wasn't expecting it. 

If you love romances, and if you are a fan of James Patterson, read Sam's Letters to Jennifer. And also read Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas. I've read that book several times, and it gets to me each time, as well. And I'm sure that when I reread Sam's Letters to Jennifer, it'll get to me again, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment